Monday, December 27, 2010

I'm Glad I Never Had a Sister


My mom and I have enough drama between each other. She never had a sister either.

Unfortunately, I inherited a certain bad habit from her. We both just say things to people to see what they will say. If it works in our favor, then great! But we differ when it comes to when we get a reaction we don't want. I tell people "I'm just kidding. I just wanted to see what you would say." She does not admit this and continues to argue with the person or just go on like she never said it, then it's left ingrained in your brain.

Unbeknownst to me, she did this A LOT throughout my life. I always thought she was serious until I figured out what she was doing last week. She's the one who told me that my ex & his girlfriend weren't together anymore. I didn't really give her the reaction she expected and she just went on. Later that week, she said she only told it to me to see my reaction. I caught her doing this several times up until now.

I finally confronted her about it today.

I was telling my brother something stupid and totally not true. It was something like "Nathan, you're allergic to cheese. You have seizures then don't remember it." He knows it's false.

She was like "Why would you say something like that?"

I said, "Just to get a reaction from him. He knows it's totally not true. I got that from you."

Then we got into how she's done that with every boyfriend I've ever had. She always says, "Well, he's probably got another girlfriend" when plans fall through.

This is one reason I don't want to date right now. It's relationship sabotage.

This doesn't make her a bad mom. It just means she hasn't been very fulfilling in the social advice area of being a mom. She does it with my friends, too. It really makes me feel suspicious & socially inadequate.

I'm ready to move. Not because I don't love her, but because I hate having a sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment